Testing and analysis laboratory for the wood and furniture industry
Since the foundation of Catas, more than 40 years ago, they have the safety and the quality of raw materials and finished products at heart. Every day in the operating centres of San Giovanni al Natisone (Udine) and Lissone (Monza) they carry out chemical analysis, physical and mechanical tests on raw materials, components and finished products of the wood, furniture and building industry.
They are considered the biggest European laboratory for testing and for applied research in the wood and furniture sector.
Advanced testing equipment
Thanks to the wide range of equipment dedicated to the test of safety, strength and durability on seatings CATAS is the largest laboratory in Europe, both for experience and test capabilities, in the chair sector. The test apparatus used in this section are designed by CATAS.
What is tested?
- Domestic and contract chairs. Upholstered furniture
- Office chairs
- Outdoor chairs
- Multiple chairs
- School chairs
- Children chairs – High chairs
The tests are carried out according to national, European and international technical standards.
The CATAS routine activity includes the drafting and revision of technical standards developed by standardisation committees operating in Italy (UNI), and at European (CEN) and international (ISO) levels.
- UNI Furniture Commission
- CEN TC 207 Furniture working groups:
- WG 1 Requirements for domestic furniture
- WG 2 Requirements for children’s and nursery furniture
- WG 3 Office furniture
- WG 4 Requirements for Outdoor furniture
- WG 5 Requirements for non domestic furniture
- WG 6 Requirements for educational furniture
- WG 9 Test methods
- ISO TC 136 Furniture WG 1 Chairs – Test methods